Wednesday 28 May 2014

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time #2)

Genres: High Fantasy, Adventure
Publication Date: November 15th 1990
POV: Alternating - Third-person, Past tense.
My Rating: 5 out of 5

_______________

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. For centuries, gleemen have told of The Great Hunt of the Horn. Now the Horn itself is found: the Horn of Valere long thought only legend, the Horn which will raise the dead heroes of the ages.

And it is stolen.

_______________

The story really picks up in book 2. It's not just travel and adventure anymore. As the group separates and goes in different directions they face new and individual threats. Nynaeve and Egwene travel to the White Tower to begin training and are betrayed. Rand and Loial are separated from their group and must find the Horn of Valere before Padan Fain. Everything accumulates on Toman Head while the Seanchan invade.

I especially enjoyed the girls' story, and I enjoyed getting to know Min and Elayne better. I think it may just be the female perspective, because even when they were simply training to light candles, I always looked forward to Nynaeve or Egwene's POV. It was a treat once we began to receive Min's POV as well. And their story together only became more and more intense as time passed. Although, I am a little put off by how they are all fighting over Rand. I love Rand as a protagonist, and I love stories of "achieving greatness", but if all these women are in his future I don't know if it is possible for me to not lose some respect for him.

Rand's personal journey is fascinating in itself. How much he has changed in this book alone. He is being molded. I don't know if Rand will be affected by saidin and turn into more of an anti-hero, or if he will be able to withstand it and remain such an incredible soul. But either way, I look forward to witnessing the transformation.

Mat and Perrin are also starting to grow on me. I don't know what role they will have in the story or the coming battle. Even though they are ta'veren, they haven't served any grand purpose so far, besides Mat blowing the horn. I am sure Perrin's wolves could be useful though. We got to know Perrin a bit better in the last book when he was separated along with Egwene, when he first learned about the wolves. And I grew to appreciate him more then. Mat was the one that needed the development in this book, and I wonder if being separated from the dagger will make him more useful still.

Big things are set into motion at the end of this book, now that the world knows Rand is the Dragon Reborn, and sides are being chosen, lines are being drawn. It is making me very nervous to see how many people and armies are against him, and the amount of people who think he is a Darkfriend makes me sad. I have already begun book 3, The Dragon Reborn. I cannot get through this series fast enough. But I will have to resign myself to the fact that I have a long ways to go. Better get to it!

“Some men choose to seek greatness, while others are forced to it. It is always better to choose than to be forced.A man who is forced is never completely his own master."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...