Tuesday 7 January 2014

Torn From You by Nashoda Rose (Tear Asunder #1)

Genres: Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publication Date: December 20th 2013
POV: Female - First-person, Past tense
Smut-O-Meter: 9 out of 10
My Rating: 2 out of 5

_______________

Love is like an avalanche. It hits hard, fast and without mercy.

At least it did for me when Sculpt, the lead singer of the rock band Tear Asunder knocked me off my feet. Literally, because he’s also a fighter, illegally of course, and he taught me how to fight. He also taught me how to love and I fell hard for him. I mean the guy could do sweet, when he wasn't doing bossy, and I like sweet.

Then it all shattered.

Kidnapped.
Starved.
Beaten.
I was alone and fighting to survive.
When I heard Sculpt's voice, I thought he was there to save me.

I was wrong.

_______________

I don't even know where to begin. This book infuriated me to no end. I will attempt to start at the beginning.

The prequel novella, With You, was ok, but I didn't feel like the characters were very well developed. Plus, Scuplt was just so forced. Not only is he a fighter, but also a rock star, and he has a bike, and his name is motherf*%#ing Sculpt! What the hell kind of name is Sculpt?! Its like the author was trying to shout in my face, "Hey! Look at this super hot alpha male! Love him!" Ah, no thanks. I'll pass.

Once Emily was taken I got a bit more into the story. I prefer contemporary romances that are also action/suspense. Plus, I love 'Captive Woman' romances. I love seeing a strong woman survive, and finding her light in the darkness. Finding a way to love despite everything, it must be an incredible love to survive that. And as much as I may disapprove of Eme's object of affection, she did fall in love with Sculpt again in that place. And that is the reason for the 2-stars.

Now, Sculpt, aka Logan, is a whole other story. I found him kind of annoying and demanding in the beginning, but once he got into that place, oh man, did he take it to a whole new level. Eme is terrified and alone and will cling to any kindness she receives, I think that that is the definition of Stockholm. So, when she begins to take comfort in Logan, he takes advantage of her. She is not wanting him out of a natural love, but out of her terrifying situation, yet Logan has sex with her over and over again in every manner he can think of. Eme becomes complacent and easier to control. Logan even admits to her that they shouldn't have sex, because Eme needs to act afraid of him, so it wasn't even because he was trying to continue the charade, he was just couldn't control his needs. Every time they had sex while they were there I hated him a little more.

Then they get out, less than half way through the book, and I have over 200 pages left, and I'm thinking," this is gonna be painful." And it was. Logan comes back into Eme's life and is begging her for a second chance. Just the sight of him brings horrible memories back to the surface. But he doesn't take no for an answer. He randomly shows up at her house, shows up when she is hanging out with her friends, constantly calls her. That is harassment even without the history of violence, and I would have gotten a restraining order. She wanted to forget and move on with her life, but he wouldn't let her. He kept bringing it back up to the surface because he is selfish and arrogant and wants her for himself regardless of the consequences to her. He kept throwing their physical attraction in her face, but that is not what you build a relationship on. Especially not one that has such a dark history of objectification. He continued to control her even after she had gained her freedom. He liked to be demanding during sex and sometimes even tied her up. It scared her because it reminded her of what he was like while they were in that place. But he would totally guilt trip her into doing it anyway by saying, "Don't you love me? Don't you trust me?" Gosh, that bastard. I hate him so much. She needs comfort and to regain control of her life. Don't take her control from her during something as personal as sex!

I knew she would eventually give in to him and I was not looking forward to the end. And I got what I expected. He didn't change, he was an asshole to the end. He never eased up his grip on Eme's life. In the last page they even have this conversation,

"You're touring with me."It wasnt a question; it was a statement. "Logan--""Im not asking anymore. This is big and I want you with me.""Dont you think thats kind of selfish? I do have a business to--""No. I told you. We'll try and work in you doing clinics at the stops we make. We need time together, baby.""Logan.""Emily"He leaned in and kissed me, and I melted."

Controlling her with sex to the very end. Charming. I wont be reading the sequel about Kat and Ream. I am the slightest bit curious what they were fighting about, but a sequel would be torture and would probably ruin Ream for me. He would probably end up being portrayed as as big of an asshole as Logan. Now Crisis I might want to read about. :P He is already an ass, but also a total hoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...