Saturday 26 April 2014

The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa (Blood of Eden #3)

Genres: Young Adult, Dystopian, Post-Apocalyptic, Paranormal, Romance
Publication Date: April 15th 2014
POV: Female - First-person, Past tense.
My Rating: 3 out of 5

_______________

Vengeance Will Be Hers

Allison Sekemoto once struggled with the question: human or monster?

With the death of her love, Zeke, she has her answer.

Monster

Allie will embrace her cold vampire side to hunt down and end Sarren, the psychopathic vampire who murdered Zeke. But the trail is bloody and long, and Sarren has left many surprises for Allie and her companions—her creator, Kanin, and her blood brother, Jackal. The trail is leading straight to the one place they must protect at any cost—the last vampire-free zone on Earth, Eden. And Sarren has one final, brutal shock in store for Allie.

In a ruined world where no life is sacred and former allies can turn on you in one heartbeat, Allie will face her darkest days. And if she succeeds, triumph is short-lived in the face of surviving forever alone.

_______________

I am really sad that this series did not blow my mind like The Iron Fey did and continues to do with each installment of The Call of the Forgotten. I know most people love Blood of Eden, and many love it more than The Iron Fey. But this series just makes me nervous, wondering if The Iron Fey was a one-off for me and Julie Kagawa. Will I love Talon or not?

Like book 1, this dragged. About halfway through and all they had done was walked. Allie, Kanin, and 
Jackal walking to Chicago. Sure they came across a few of Sarren's massacres, and they stopped to feed on some farmers. But half the book was just them walking to Chicago. And then they picked up Zeke and that was cool, but he was being a big baby again and then they continued walking. Actually at this point I think they picked up a vehicle, but the point is that nothing happened until they got to Eden.

The whole final scene on the island and on the barge was really cool and awesome. Zeke turned out to be a bad-ass vampire, even though no one thought he would make a very good vampire. So I am glad he proved them wrong and finally became relevant. And when Allie is needed, she really steps up. I don't think it was until the climax of this book that I really started to appreciate her. But that took way-the-hell too long! The climax of a book cannot carry the whole book. But I am glad that she proved herself to Kanin, and to herself in the end. I was happy for her, and Kanin I guess. Although I feel like Kanin was just a ghost. We never really knew him. He was just there but her never said anything.

The story of this series, overall, was great. I liked the idea of the world Julie created, and the mission Allie and her friends were on. I just wish they characters who carried out that mission were not so flat, and that it hadn't dragged so much. It probably could have been done in two installments. But book 2 was definitely the highlight of this series for me. It felt the most full and involved. There was so much going on. With the introduction of Jackal as an ally, the infected, the city and the Prince, Stick, and Sarren. A lot was going on and I never got bored. I assumed the series was picking up steam and that in book 1 it was just finding it's footing. But sadly it went down hill from there.

I feel like the way things ended was pretty incomplete. I feel like I need another book. I know that this was Allie and Zeke's story and they got everything they could want in the end, and the important part of their story is over. But I lived for Jackal while reading this series (or at least in books 2 and 3). I was always just waiting for his next scene, his next line. I didn't like the way he and Allie parted. It just doesn't feel right to me, to not know what becomes of him. I want to know if he goes to Europe, what he does there, if he ever sees Allison again, if he treats her like a Master when he does. I just want more Jackal. :(


“I am proud of you, Allison Sekemoto,” he whispered as he drew back. “Whatever you decide, whatever path you choose to take, I hope that you will remain the same girl I met that night in the rain. The one decision for which I have no regrets.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...