Monday 3 February 2014

Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi (Shatter Me #3)

Genres: Young Adult, Sci-fi, Dystopian, Paranormal, Romance
Publication Date: February 4th 2014
POV: Female - First-person, Present tense
My Rating: 5 out of 5

_______________

With Omega Point destroyed, Juliette doesn’t know if the rebels, her friends, or even Adam are alive. But that won’t keep her from trying to take down The Reestablishment once and for all. Now she must rely on Warner, the handsome commander of Sector 45. The one person she never thought she could trust. The same person who saved her life. He promises to help Juliette master her powers and save their dying world... but that’s not all he wants with her.
_______________

** spoiler alert **

This book is beyond perfection. Its beyond anything that I ever could have hoped and dreamed. It was so perfect that it left me afraid for most of the experience, waiting for the other shoe to drop. I was anxious until the end. It was as if it was fanfic written by someone who was Team Warner, it had everything that we, as Warner lovers, could have ever wanted. But of course it couldn't be fanfic because only Tahereh Mafi could have ever written something so beautiful.

The absolute best thing about this series is the transformation of the characters. Although I doubted and I was afraid, I should have known that Juliette would end up with Warner all along, because after everything they both went through, they had changed so much and Juliette just could not fit in Adam's life anymore. It was so obvious. I just love the way that Mafi portrayed real struggle and realistic change. Although the story was great, it was really only the backdrop for Juliette's personal story. And Warner's. They both changed so much since Shatter Me, its hard to say who has changed more. They have become the absolutely best versions of themselves. What they had always seen inside each other.

"So the two of you--I mean, together-- you two could basically--" 
"Take over the world?" 
"I was going to say you could kick some serious ass, but yeah, that too, I guess."

Its amazing how Juliette and Warner fit into each others lives like gloves. Like two pieces of a puzzle. They don't even ever fight! They were so obviously made for each other, and by each other. The only thing I would have changed, and I am not even entirely sure that I would have, is that after Juliette shared her intent to become Commander herself after killing Anderson, her and Warner never discussed it. I imagine that if Warner had killed his father himself as he had always intended before he recruited Juliette's help, he would have taken over himself. But now Juliette is taking that from him and they never discuss it. She never reassures him that he will have a place in her new Re-Reestablishment. But, that in itself, might be a good sign. It might be a sign that Warner trusts Juliette to be a good leader, doesn't feel that she needs his help, and also knows that she will always want him in her life without her ever having to tell him. And it could mean that Juliette trusts Warner to support her decision without him having to tell her. I dunno how I feel about that. Could go either way.

And Mafi really knows how to please her fans. Wow! Everything went so well in this. The only negative things in the whole book was Adam's pouting in the beginning, which he got over, and the fact that Anderson was in it, but he died, easily. Adam moved on, Warner happily accepted him and James as brothers, none of the characters died, except Warner's mother, but we didn't really know her. Oh no! I just realized Warner is an orphan now. :( But he gained 3 new family members in the process. :) There is really nothing more I could have asked for. It included some of the most poetically beautiful sex scenes I have ever read, but somehow still clean enough for YA. I am ok with sex in my books, and although I know she had to fade to black since this is YA, if she hadn't, it all would have been beautiful. Mafi can make anything sound beautiful, but she can make something that is already beautiful sound like the meaning of life. I cant even imagine the metaphors she would have come up with for that. But the glimpses we got were some of the most incredible writing I have ever read. Honestly, my review is unraveling and has turned into me just gushing. But the ending was perfect! I cant think of a better image in my head, than the image of Juliette and Warner standing on top of a shipping container, holding each other, surrounded by cheering soldiers. I think I might cry at how perfect it was. And I even enjoyed the fact that we don't see the rest of the war. There may be more Sectors that will stand against them, but we know that together they can do anything.

"You know," he whispers, his lips at my ear, "the whole world will be coming for us." 
I lean back. Look into his eyes."I cant wait to watch them try."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...