Sunday 1 January 2012

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Lux #1)

Genres: Young Adult, Sci-fi, Romance 
Publication Date: November 23rd 2011
POV: Female - First-person, Past tense
My Rating: 4 out of 5

_______________

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

_______________

This wasnt really what I expected at all. There wasnt much for sci-fi elements besides the alien characters. No alien technology, or space, or anything like that. It reads like most YA PNR, which is good, cuz thats what I love. But the story was still unique enough. I have never read a sci-fi romance before, excluding dystopians. I began reading as a sci-fi fan and over time became a fan of YA romance, so it is nice to find a combination of the two.

The characters were great in all the right ways. Katy was a great heroine. Brave when she needs to be but still feminine enough to relate to. And I love how she was a fan of books and had a blog! Haha, sooo many readers are gonna relate to that. She was really interesting and I can see why Dee and Daemon loved having her around. Dee was great too. As were Lesa and Carissa. An amusing group of friends.

I dont usually like bad boys, or guys with attitude, but Daemon made up for it. It was quite clear that there was much more to him. Daemon gave us a lot of signs of who he really was inside, and that he was only being rude to Katy to protect his family, and eventually, her as well. He had a surprising amount of moments of weakness, when he was with Kat, when he was truly sweet. Like when he told her the story of Snowbird. And after reading the two Daemon's POV segments from the end of the book, as well as the two Jennifer Armentrout posted on her blog, we can understand him even better. And of course the scene where he healed her near the end. He is truly good at heart.

But I was a little disappointed with the ending. Not because they didnt get together. If Daemon had decided to let her go for her own good, it would have been romantic and I would have accepted it. But he decided to go for it, and he did it all wrong. We know from his POVs that he does not think with all the snarky remarks he talks with. He should have been able to explain himself better, unless he did it intentionally. But it just felt like there was no culmination of their relationship, no progress. They accomplished nothing after everything they went through. They still could not come to an understanding.

So I cannot wait for the next book, to hopefully see Daemon succeed in convincing Kat that he wants to be with her.


“I've always found that the most beautiful people, truly beautiful inside and out, are the ones who are quietly unaware of their effect."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...