Sunday 6 October 2013

Screaming in the Silence by Lydia Kelly

Genres: Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publication Date: October 27th 2010
POV: Female - First-person, Past tense
Smut-O-Meter: 4 out of 10
My Rating: 4 out of 5

_______________

Could you fall in love with the man who kidnapped and raped you?

After being struck by a car, Raleigh finds herself taken captive by three men who live in a remote cottage by a lake. Locked in the basement and raped, she soon discovers that her desperation is leading her to believe in and trust one of her captors. Kaden is handsome and at times protective, but will he save her from his partner, who wants her dead? And can she have feelings and fall in love with a man who kidnapped and raped her?

_______________

At the very beginning of this story, Raleigh wakes up in the trunk of a car next to her friend's body. They were hit by a drunk driver who, along with two other passengers, put them in the trunk of their car to dispose of the bodies, not realizing she was still alive. Once they realize she is still alive they lock her in their basement while they try to figure out what to do with her. Kaden, one of her kidnappers, stands up for her against the ringleader, Ray. He keeps some of her secrets, prevents the others from raping her, gives her food, and he eventually makes it clear that he wants more from her. She agrees in exchange for his continued protection. But things get complicated when feelings get involved and they both begin to want so much more than their situation can allow.

"All you care about is the control and power..."

Kaden is certainly not free of guilt in this. He has done some terrible things to Raleigh, worse than Ray in a way. And at first I assumed any feelings he had for her were the result of delusion and instability, and any feeling she may have had for him were the result of Stockholm and fear. But as time went on I could not believe that I was beginning to see Kaden in a new light, and by the end of the book I felt like they really did love each other, which has me really surprised. I really, really enjoyed seeing the incredibly unique way I was brought to this point. I have never read anything like this before; it was a memorable experience and it had me crying in a few places. The constant inner battle I had with myself—warring over whether or not what they were doing was healthy, whether or not I should be wanting it to happen at all—it was a wonderful experience and I definitely recommend it to anyone who is a fan of unconventional romances. 

"You protected me and gave me reason to hope..."

Just FYI, this is not a BDSM or erotica. There is violence and abuse as a result of the kidnapping, but nothing else. Although there is some semi-graphic sex. Maybe about the same level as an NA novel. Although this is not NA. Both leads are grown adults.

"Against my better judgement and sense, I love you..."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...