Sunday 28 July 2013

Lick by Kylie Scott (Stage Dive #1)

Genres: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publication Date: July 1st 2013
POV: Female - First-person, Past tense
Smut-O-Meter: 7 out of 10
My Rating: 2 out of 5

_______________

Waking up in Vegas was never meant to be like this.

Evelyn Thomas’s plans for celebrating her twenty-first birthday in Las Vegas were big. Huge. But she sure as hell never meant to wake up on the bathroom floor with a hangover to rival the black plague, a very attractive half-naked tattooed man, and a diamond on her finger large enough to scare King Kong. Now if she could just remember how it all happened.

One thing is for certain, being married to rock and roll’s favourite son is sure to be a wild ride.

_______________

I should really have learned my lesson with contemporary romances by now, but I loved Kylie Scott's Flesh series so I figured I had to read this. But it is contemporary, so it doesn't matter who wrote it, my chances of loving it were still low.

This book was really absolutely nothing special to me. Same old, same old that I have read in almost every contemporary romance. I mean, sure, David is hot and he loves her, but really, I need more than that. And I feel like the lost memory of a night in Vegas was used as a gimmick to draw us in, but then the story ended up actually not being about that at all. By the end of the book, I totally forget that that is how they met or that Evelyn doesn't remember marrying him.

“I married you, Evelyn, because you made sense to me. We make sense. We're a whole lot better together than apart.”

Plus there is the inevitable drama. That is always the #1 thing I mention when reviewing a contemporary. I can't stand the drama! When Ev busted in on David and Martha it was absolutely obvious that she misunderstood the situation. It was absolutely obvious that walking away was the worst thing that could happen to him, but she did it anyway. And then he never really explained anything else that she accused him of besides the kiss. Why keep the house? Her earring? Her job? After their rules about being honest and everything, they still really screwed things up and I don't think he should have been forgiven so easily. Its so frustrating. I prefer it when the only things a couple have to fight is zombies or aliens, instead of each other. I need a break from contemporaries.

“Love isn't always smooth or straightforward. It can be messy and painful… Doesn't mean it isn't still the most incredible thing that can ever happen to you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...