Wednesday 26 March 2014

Allegiant by Veronica Roth (Divergent #3)

Genres: Young Adult, Sci-fi, Dystopian, Romance
My Rating: 5 out of 5

_______________

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

_______________

This book was amazing! It easily made up for any issues I had with book 2. I absolutely loved the characters and the story since book 1, but in this one it seemed to grow so much more depth! Veronica Roth's writing was always good, but neither of the first two books made me think, or made me feel, like this one did.

The story took a lot of turns that I did not see coming. The breadth of the story has grown beyond anything I had anticipated. Looking back to the problems of book 1, they seem so meaningless in comparison to the things Tris and Four had to contend with in this one. And it brought everything together. I remember, when Divergent was first released and started gaining popularity, there were a few negative reviews where the readers could not find the society depicted at all believable. They claimed the concept just would not work, and there was no way anyone would have built such a society in the first place, knowing how doomed it would be. Well, I hope those people are eating their words now.

In Insurgent I became very frustrated with Tris and Four's relationship. After Divergent, I thought they were the epitome of all YA couples. But in Insurgent they had a lot of issues and argued and disagreed a lot, and it really upset me. But in Allegiant, I can see how this just makes their relationship all the more real. That is what love really is in the end, and I think not enough YA books acknowledge that. Its not just passion and feeling. Its commitment and loyalty.

"I stay with him because I choose to, every day that I wake up, every day that we fight or lie to each other or disappoint each other. I choose him over and over again, and he chooses me."

[And then of course there is the issue of Tris' fate. I have to say, the fact that Tris did not survive actually made me love this book, this series, and Veronica Roth even more than I already did. Its exactly what Tris would do, and there is no way around that. Sure, I suppose Roth could have come up with a third alternative, so that neither Tris nor Caleb had to die. But why deny Tris' sacrifice? She did a beautiful thing, and she did it for all the right reasons. I have never read a more selfless and well-written death. The only thing about it that upset me, is the fact that it left Four alone. The fact that they are not together forever is a great injustice. I am a little sad that his memories of Tris were beginning to fade by the end, but he has learned to move forward and honour her memory at the same time. The way that he decided to scatter her ashes while riding the zip-line was just so amazing and perfect and brave, and I love Four all the more for it.]

"[My mother] taught me all about real sacrifice. That it should be done from love, not misplaced disgust for another persons genetics. That it should be done from necessity, not without exhausting all other options. That it should be done for people who need your strength because they don't have enough of their own."

This book, and the series after being disappointed with book 2, exceeded all my expectations; it blew my mind more than once. I am very sad that it is over. I don't know when will be the next time I will read a YA series quite like this one. I just wish more people had been willing to accept what happened to Tris. I have no doubt that is the reason for the drastic difference in the average Goodreads rating. I don't know if Roth has plans to write more, but I hope she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...