Monday 19 November 2012

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (The Lynburn Legacy #1)

Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance
Publication Date: September 11th 2012
POV: Alternating - Third-person, Past tense
My Rating: 5 out of 5

_______________

Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?

_______________

This book was incredibly unique. It had me hooked from the very beginning with its unique feel and fascinating story. I could not put it down and I read it in just over a day and I stayed up way past my bedtime. It was a lot of fun to read and was seriously addictive. I loved the fast-paced, witty narrative. I did a good deal of laughing while I read this. And the characters were just as sharp. I especially loved Kami and Angela. It reminded me a lot of Nancy Drew, but set in a small Gothic town with magic. I have never read anything quite like it.

“Your soul is like the souls of a thousand monkeys on crack, all smushed together.”


Also, the whole idea of two ppl being linked from birth, and never knowing whether the person you share your whole life with is real or not; that created entirely new dynamics for Jared and Kami. Very complicated dynamics. I appreciated the tumultuous-ness of their relationship, although I could have done with a tad bit more hope.

There is usually miscommunication in YA romances, that leads to the main character and love interest taking far longer to come together than they should have. But you still always know it will happen, eventually. But at the end of this, I find myself not entirely sure. Jared and Kami are in a place that they have never been before and I dont know how they will come back from this, but I still have hope. I have to, its the only thing that will keep me going until Untold.

"All the lights in his crazy gray eyes were dancing. A shiver went through her, a ripple of his delight. She felt again the way she had at the Crying Pools and at her house, the thrill of sharing your secret soul and having someone think it was wonderful."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...