Thursday 6 June 2013

The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa (Blood of Eden #2)

Genres: Young Adult, Dystopian, Post-Apocalyptic, Paranormal, Romance
My Rating: 4 out of 5
_______________

In Allison Sekemoto's world, there is one rule left: Blood calls to blood

She has done the unthinkable: died so that she might continue to live. Cast out of Eden and separated from the boy she dared to love, Allie will follow the call of blood to save her creator, Kanin, from the psychotic vampire Sarren. But when the trail leads to Allie's birthplace in New Covington, what Allie finds there will change the world forever—and possibly end human and vampire existence.

There's a new plague on the rise, a strain of the Red Lung virus that wiped out most of humanity generations ago—and this strain is deadly to humans and vampires alike. The only hope for a cure lies in the secrets Kanin carries, if Allie can get to him in time.

Allison thought that immortality was forever. But now, with eternity itself hanging in the balance, the lines between human and monster will blur even further, and Allie must face another choice she could never have imagined having to make.

_______________

I enjoyed this a bit more than book 1, The Immortal Rules. The story is more developed, with several more layers and went in more interesting directions. Zeke isn't quite as much of a wuss, and we see a new, far more interesting and entertaining side of Jackal. And Sarren is a far better villain than Jackal was. Jackal works better as comic relief IMO. He made me bark with laughter at the most unexpected moments.

It took me awhile to get into this, I think because it was just Allie and Jackal at first. I enjoy their banter now, but at first I didn't know if he was gonna try to kill her at any moment. But now that I have gotten to know him better I really enjoy his company. But things really picked up once Zeke and Kanin were added to the picture. They are a great team, despite their drastically different backgrounds. And like Allie once mentioned, you would not expect to see them working together, but with their common goal, they work together well.

The tension was high in this and I never knew what was going to happen next, and there were a lot of emotions near the end. I gotta say I really don't understand Stick. What the hell was he trying to do? He said he wanted her to see him, but there were other ways. It made no sense. Did he have romantic feelings for her? I guess it doesn't really matter, like he doesn't matter to Allie anymore. Still a bit frustrating.

I still don't really love Zeke, which is a shame after the amazing and unforgettable Ash and Puck from Julie Kagawa's The Iron Fey. But I can accept him. There is no denying that he makes Allie better. He's like Allie's version of Peeta, just less awesome. Despite the evil cliffhanger in this, I will be enthusiastically yet calmly waiting for The Forever Song.

"There would never be another soul as bright as his. And that both terrified me and made me savagely - and maybe selfishly - determined to keep him. Zeke was mine now. Forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...