Wednesday 16 April 2014

The Avery Shaw Experiment by Kelly Oram

Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary, Humour, Romance
Publication Date: May 2nd 2013
POV: Alternating - First-person, Past tense.
My Rating: 4 out of 5

_______________

When Avery Shaw’s heart is shattered by her life-long best friend, she chooses to deal with it the only way she knows how—scientifically.

The state science fair is coming up and Avery decides to use her broken heart as the topic of her experiment. She’s going to find the cure. By forcing herself to experience the seven stages of grief through a series of social tests, she believes she will be able to get over Aiden Kennedy and make herself ready to love again. But she can’t do this experiment alone, and her partner (ex partner!) is the one who broke her heart.

Avery finds the solution to her troubles in the form of Aiden’s older brother Grayson. The gorgeous womanizer is about to be kicked off the school basketball team for failing physics. He’s in need of a good tutor and some serious extra credit. But when Avery recruits the lovable Grayson to be her “objective outside observer,” she gets a whole lot more than she bargained for, because Grayson has a theory of his own: Avery doesn’t need to grieve. She needs to live. And if there’s one thing Grayson Kennedy is good at, it’s living life to the fullest.

_______________

This book was so much fun. And it reminded me so much of Cassie Mae books, if someone had told me it was written by Cassie Mae I would have believed them. It had elements that reminded me of both Switched and Reasons I Fell for the Funny Fat Friend.

Avery is just so adorable. I want to put her in my pocket. And Grayson? Oh my gosh! He's like perfection. They were amazing together since the first naked shower. ;) It was so inevitable. I cant imagine how they could have known each other all their lives and never noticed how perfect they were for each other until now. Or how she could have spent so much time with Aiden when there was Grayson to be had! He would bend over backwards to make her happy, and he was so patient with her social awkwardness. He was the perfect cure for what ailed her, from her broken heart to her anxiety. He never pushed her to do more than what she was capable of, but he also never let her become complacent with her life. He was just so unbelievably amazing!

I also loved seeing Grayson try to win Avery over. I really enjoy when things are changed up and it is the guy who is pining for the girl. It doesn't happen that way as often and I just love seeing that side of a guy. But Grayson was patient as ever and just so good natured and fun and kept making Avery laugh no matter what. He was so hilarious and sweet! I also loved the added side story of Avery's friend Libby, and Grayson's friend Owen. Oh my! What an odd pair! Hahaha, love the photo booth scene. I wish we could see more of them.

The prologue to this book was the absolute best. It was perfect! I wish I could just quote the whole thing. I cant pick a favourite line from the prologue. Grayson just doesnt know how to quit being amazing! I will definitely be checking out more of this author's work.

“Somewhere between the shower and the Red Bull I fell in love with you, Aves. I’m talking epically. There is no coming back from a fall like mine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...